Human Resources

You are here

Workers' Compensation

Workers’ Compensation is a state-mandated benefit for employees with work-related injuries and illnesses, awarded without regard to who is at fault. Employers are required to provide benefits in case of injury, illness, death, or aggravation of a pre-existing condition resulting from employment. For the University of California, these benefits are administered by a self-insured plan. There is no outside insurance carrier. The University contracts with a third-party administrator, Sedgwick CMS, for the management of its claims.

Library Human Resources and Campus Shared Services works with the University Health Services – Workers Compensation Office for all Library employees. When you or one of your employees is injured at work, a Report of Incident Form must be completed. The form is normally completed by the supervisor and must be completed within 24 hours from the time you learn of the injury or illness.

The form should be submitted to your CSS Business Partner or LHRD either in person, or by fax, email or scan to LHRD within 24 hours.

Once the injured employee is seen by the Occupational Health Clinic on campus, they will receive a Medical Evaluation for Work form. This form should be given to the supervisor and the Library Human Resources Department or CSS Business Partner immediately upon return to the Library. This applies every time they are seen by the Health Care Provider.

The supervisor will be contacted by the CSS Business Partner or LHRD to update the latest job description and Physical, Environmental, Mental Demands Form (PEM). These forms will be reviewed by the CSS Business Partner, LHRD and the campus Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor at the time of every claim.

Within a few days of the Report of Incident form being completed, the supervisor will receive a phone call for additional information from Sedgwick, the third party administrator who manages the claims for the University. The employee will receive an additional form for completion at their home address.

Reporting leave for workers' compensation

In some cases, the leave reporting for workers comp will be different. If the employee is receiving treatment, please contact the CSS Business Partner or LHRD to confirm the leave reporting details each month.

For additional information and questions, please contact our HR Business Partner.